Friday, June 26, 2015

Developing a Realistic/Semi-Realistic VN Sprite

by Meagan

In my previous post, I described the research process I go through when designing a character.  Continuing in that vein, I wanted to share the steps I take to make the character sprite itself.  Consider this a digital painting tutorial of sorts.

1.  Sketchbook 

Another ugly phone photo.
After some experimenting, I decide on a pose that represents the character's personality in some way and draw a very basic contour sketch.  I like to do this step in my sketchbook as opposed to Photoshop, because my hand has more freedom of movement on paper than when I'm working with my (really small) tablet.  It's just a personal preference.

Next, I either scan or take a photo of the sketch so I have a digital copy of it.  Quality doesn't really matter, so long as I get the whole sketch and there aren't any obvious distortions.


2. Digitize 


My next step is to paste the digital copy into Photoshop and trace the outline as a new layer over a toned background.  The background can be pretty much any color, but I usually go with a medium to medium-dark neutral.  It's just for color reference.  

It's generally a good idea to make this "master" image significantly larger than what you'll need for the actual game sprite.  It's just nice to have big art assets around in case you need larger images for promotional materials later.  For example, Mephisto is around 2000 px high here, but her resized game sprite is only 800 px high.

At this stage, I make any necessary adjustments to the outline, correcting proportions, etc.  I also add in the smaller details like fingers, hair, and facial features.  (The facial features go on their own layer, so they can be easily swapped out for different expressions!)  On my Faust: Scene II sprites, I experimented with exaggerating the faces and hands, so that their expressions would be more readable if the game is played on a smaller screen.

It's probably worth mentioning here that I like to fill in the main shapes with a solid "base" color.  With sprites, this often helps a lot with transparency issues that I'll talk about later in this post.  I usually paint the base color for the skin something drastically different from what the final local color will be.  This helps give the skin more depth, so to speak.  Skin is made up of multiple translucent layers of tissue, and I try to emulate this in the way I paint it.  Having a red or purple-ish hue as your first layer can mimic the look of blood and muscle under the skin.



3. Adding clothes


I hadn't drawn her codpiece yet when I took this screenshot, I guess.
This step is pretty straightforward.  I sketch clothes on a new layer or a few different new layers. This allows for easy experimentation with different outfits.  It's also important if you have a costume change at some point in the story.


4. Painting



When painting, I tend to work back to front, doing the "underneath" stuff first.  I guess this is a carryover from my oil painting training and probably doesn't matter as much with digital.  I also erase or blend in parts of the outline as I go wherever it makes sense.  Again, remember to paint the face on its own layer so it can be easily swapped out.


5. Handling expressions

That creepy effect when you turn off visibility on certain layers...
To make things easier for myself, I like to paint parts of face that aren’t likely to change much on their own layer so that they stay consistent.  Here you can see how I did that with the nose, chin, and jawline.  (Yes, in real life these parts will in fact move slightly as a person's expression changes.  Keeping them the same in a game sprite is a time-saver.)  

Another trick I use with expressions is creating an extra copy of my first one and pasting it in place to use as a reference.  Drawing on a new layer directly on top of your reference helps you anchor your eyes, mouths, etc. so your facial features aren’t floating around.  For example, the corners of the eyes should always be located in roughly the same spot.  Otherwise, your eyes are going to look like they're moving up and down the face in a way that doesn't really make sense.



5. Checking transparency


Before patching.
After patching.
Sprites need to be at least mostly solid so the backgrounds don't show through conspicuously when you put them in the game.  As such, one of my final steps is to turn visibility off on the background and look for spots where the white/gray checkerboard pattern is really obvious.  I then patch these areas by creating a new layer behind everything and filling the transparent spots with the same color as the toned background I used.  I don't bother filling in the edges of hair when I do this, since thin clusters of hair appear translucent in real life.

After that, it's mostly just a matter of cropping and resizing to game dimensions.  Done!  

No comments:

Post a Comment