Monday, July 27, 2015

Jamming for Equal Marriage: Our War Everlasting

by Aviala

I participated in a short game jam a couple of weeks ago; the jam for gay marriage. The jam only had 3 submissions in the end, but mine was one of them.

Download Our War Everlasting here.


Our War Everlasting is a short kinetic story about two soldiers who must face the horrors of war together. As the jam name suggests, the story also includes a romance between the men.

For such a short and interesting jam I wanted to make something a bit experimental. The illustrations are mostly in just red, black and white and the strokes are thick and loose. There are no sprites, only CG's and text. I challenged myself to create as much art for the project as possible, and ended up with about 30 full screen illustrations.

Overall, the jam was a wild ride. I stayed up 24 hours making the game on what was supposed to be the last day, but then the jam got extended, which is great because I wouldn't have been able to finish it in the original deadline. So, I slept a few hours and started working again.

I'm pretty happy with what I managed to do in such a short time (mostly) on my own. I couldn't have done it without the support of my editor Shaples, though. She cheered me on and made sure the story was as good as possible.

Our War Everlasting was an interesting side project, and it's the first visual novel I've ever released. It's not perfect, but jam games never are. I'm a bit sad I didn't have time to include choices but even though it's a perfectly valid option, I'm not going to go back and add any. It's time to move on and continue working on Skyfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment