Saturday, May 2, 2015

Skyfish: Introduction to the world

by Aviala

Frankly, I'm not sure how to start writing about this. I've been planning the world for years, so there's a lot to talk about. Bear with me while I try to keep this short and snappy but probably get lost into tangents.


The world of Skyfish is a mixture of fantasy and steampunk, but I've made an effort to make it different from the typical fantasy genre that Tolkien started - which I have nothing against, being a fan of the genre - but I wanted to create something really unique.

I can't talk about worldbuilding without mentioning my partner Tasmir. He has helped me a lot, and the world wouldn't be the same without his extensive knowledge of history and culture - and his sometimes infuriatingly specific requests for things that would actually work instead just looking like they might. Bless him.

The map of the world as it is - still a work in progress. Many of the names are placeholders.
The story of the game begins in Southern Marava, a country stuck in a hundred year long civil war. Southern Marava is officially run by local councils, but near the war-torn border the power belongs to the warlords. The country has abandoned both it's long-lasting traditions and it's former rule under a long line of Empresses. 

One of the more fantastic qualities of Skyfish is the floatstone, which can only be found in the large lake next to Souther Marava. Floatstone is a crystal-like substance with the power to make things (or people) fly. It was only discovered around twenty years ago, and harnessed into powering airships ten years ago.

Marava is just one of the countries in the world we created, but it already has it's own culture and even a language. We're working hard to make both Marava and the whole (known) world even richer and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment